I wasn't able to complete the full 16 channel full spectrum audio analyzer, however I was able to get a working prototype of a 2 bar LR channel. This smaller version basically works as a proof of concept, and I think the larger scale version was a little ambitious for only using the labs tools.
One of the original R&D testing prototypes. Used to fine tune the LM3915 circuit, and yes I love Sparkfun!
Testing out some reflowing in our toaster oven. Saves a lot of time, but you still need to be meticulous in your placement of components. The reflow does have some self-aligning ability but if the board is milled too deeply it wont always work.
Given the FR1 type circuit board material I needed to keep a close eye on the process.
Testing led alignment. By using 2 columns on the circuit board you can access each side to use tweezers to align the led into the cutout.
In the days leading up to the final presentations I came extremely close to finishing the massive soldering job. I did come to the realization that I wouldn't finish, so I decided to make a quality "working" prototype rather than show off an ambitious non-working unit.